Monday, February 27, 2012

Weathering Wood


 My newly built yardstick gate is looking fabulous and all but it sticks out like a sore thumb against my aged arbor. Questioning if a store-bought stain will give the look it truly needs, I decided instead to weather it.
Looking to see what I had around the house, I found some old rusted metal, white distilled vinegar, and day old coffee still left in the pot. I combined all three and let my concoction set for a day or so before applying the murky brew to my gate.                                                                                                                                     




I missed a few spots on the first coat

Two coats and 15 minutes is what it took for my gate to age... saved me the 2+ years of wait for this to happen naturally.

Before
After

No comments:

Post a Comment